Resin 3.0.21
For XHTML conformance you need a header similar to

Handcoding this into JSP then submitting to
works fine.
To use xslt, you need to declare the method in your xsl:output
declaration, something like

 <xsl:output method="html"
  doctype-public='-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

When I do this, the header in my pages is

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

Notice the HTML entry is in upper case. It turns out it should be lower
case, and the w3c site will validation if it isnt.