I agree with you about Load Runner price and the fact it is an extremely
complete solution. We use it for most complex applications.

Here we use also NeoLoad that is particularly easy to use and intuitive and
far cheaper. You can also monitor your server infrastructure (
http://www.neotys.com/load-testing-tool/Web_Load_Testing_Tomcat_Monitoring.html
Tomcat   is now supported). A free trial of this stress tool is available at
http://www.neotys.com http://www.neotys.com