Yes, in the resin.conf put your tags here:
    <host id="">
      <web-app id="/yourapp">

      </web-app>
    </host>

This works for me on non cluster environments(3.0.18 & 3.0.23)& IIS 6.0
HOWEVER, adding a  <session-config use-persistent-store="true"
always-save-session="true"/>
Or a <database> inside the <web-app></web-app> for a clustered
environment
KILLS the <welcome-file-list>. I just gave up and put every thing in
app-default.xml.
Last year with 3.0.18 I spent 18 hours straight trying to fix this, I
ended up
Putting my database globally instead of inside the <web-app> tag where
they belong.
Then when I added a backup store with 3.0.23 I hit the same problem and
after 3 hours gave up
And put every thing in the app-default.xml.

Its not just my project there is a 18 server farm at another
organization and when I first saw their configuration
file, I laughed and shook my head. I knew I was going to do it right!
Then after spending a marathon session
with the config file I swallowed hard and did it their way.