hi scott,

> I can't quite see what's it's supposed to do.

hehe - seems like you never fiddled with apache rewrite-rules. ;-)

but, here we go.

suppose the user calls a url like

http://www.myservice.com/en/about/company/?page-id=2

RewriteCond checks "if" condition is matched, so the rules at the end should be
applied.

>> RewriteCond   /usr/local/www/services/apache/html%
>> {REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

translated: only continue if the requested file doesn't exist in the path.

>> RewriteCond   %{QUERY_STRING}         .*

translated: take any query string (later referred to as %0).

>> RewriteCond   %{REQUEST_FILENAME}     !.gif$
>> RewriteCond   %{REQUEST_FILENAME}     !.jpg$
>> RewriteCond   %{REQUEST_FILENAME}     !.js$
>> RewriteCond   %{REQUEST_FILENAME}     !.css$

translated: requested filenames don't end with .gif, .jpg, .js or .css

>> RewriteRule   ^(.+)$                  $0#%0                      [C]

translated: take the request and make a string from it to have
'requestpath#querystring' - then apply the next rule to this result.

>> RewriteRule   ^([^#]+)#(.*)$          /index.jsp?pathinfo=$1&$2
>> [PT,L]

make '/index.jsp?pathinfo=requestpath&querystring' from
'requestpath#querystring', then take this as the requested url.

regards, --- jan.