Take this, coming from someone who has used mod_rewrite quite a bit
and rewrite-dispatch not at all, for what it's worth.

There is no way you're going to be able to use resin's rewriting as a
replacement for mod_rewrite.  mod_rewrite is very nearly a little
programming language in itself, with conditionals, loops, and lots of
hooks into headers, the filesystem, the current time, and just about
anything else.  rewrite-dispatch, as I understand it, is vastly
simpler and less powerful.  It's just meant to be a handy way of
using a regexp to handle classes of URLs.

You may want to have a look here:

   http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

which claims to be a "very powerful tool just like Apache's
mod_rewrite".  I've not used it myself, but I expect it'll do more
than resin's built-in rewriting.

On Sep 7, 2007, at 8:06 PM, Jan Kriesten wrote:

> hi scott,
>
>> That's odd.  It looks like we're not handling the query string
>> portion.  I've just added a bug report at http://bugs.caucho.com/
>> view.php?id=1997
>
> i didn't mean to report a bug. :-)
>
> i need some example how to do such rewriting with caucho's rewrite-
> dispatch,
> especially how to check for file existence.
>
> best regards, --- jan.

joe