Mitch,

We're using a hardware load balancer in front of our Resin servers. To
try and find a way to uniquely identify each browser in an SSL and NAT
world, we're utilizing the session ID on the SSL handshake.

Since NAT routers will consolidate IP addys, and cookies may be hidden
behind the SSL encryption, the SSL Session ID is in the clear and
appears in the headers before the SSL encrypted package.

Now, I'm not sure of Resin has an easy way to get at this value, but it
can serve to identify unique SSL visitors.

+ jay