Our current environment has multiple physical servers behind a load
balancer.  Each server is running resin 3.1.1 where a java servlet handles
requests.  We have tested two different load balancer configurations with
session stickiness, but encountered the following results:

Config 1 - IP hash, session stickiness
This ends up routing a huge portion of the traffic to a single server due to
NAT'ed IP addresses.  Not going to work long term as we will eventually hit
server capacity.

Configuration 2 - Round Robin, session stickiness
Initially, this appeared to work.  However, after some more detailed
testing, we found that certain parts of the session were floating across
servers.  More detailed investigation showed that even though requests were
being sent from the same browser window, they were actually viewed as
separate sessions on the server side.  As an example, an initial page may be
loaded that includes javascript that posts additional requests to the server
to return detail records or to call a search function.  These requests
include a "close connection".

Since our application caches user/profile info in memory (no user data is
stored on the server), we require server affinity by user session.  Once a
user logs in, we would like all requests to go to a single server in the
pool until that person logs out or the session times out.  Upon next login,
it should load balance to whatever server is next in the load balanced
pool.  One option considered is to use an SSL load balancer with SSL
acceleration that we can configure in cookie insert mode.  However, my
concern is that because the additional posts include a close connection, we
may end up with the same problem encountered in Configuration 2 above.

Questions -
- Can anyone suggest a way to configure resin to handle this type of load
balancing?  Remember, the key is to load balance by user session.
- Does anyone have a similar configuration and if so, how did you solve the
problem?
- This may be a stupid question, but more for short term testing, is it
possible to configure a web tier and app tier using the same servers?  For
example, server A, server B, and server C.  A and B are clustered as a web
tier, balancing traffic to A,B, and C as the app tier.

Any suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance for any help.
Mitch