With Resin 2.1 you may want to check out
<http://www.caucho.com/resin-2.1/ref/http-config.xtp#url-character-encoding>.
For spelling out the mapping in web.xml I think you want to spell it
out in text rather than the %xx url syntax.  To avoid any text file
encoding problems you may want to use XML entity escapes (&#ddd;).

-Knut