On Feb 4, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Aaron Freeman wrote:

> I know these are simpleton questions but I gotta ask 'em. ;)
>
> In the Comet demo on:
> http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.1/examples/servlet-comet/ , the IFRAME
> is
> referencing SRC="comet".  I looked in the example resin.conf and
> web-beans.xml but I don't see how and/or what that "comet" call is
> mapping
> to?  It's obviously connecting to TestCometServlet somehow, but I
> just can't
> figure out how it knows that.

It should be the servlet-mapping for the actual comet servlet in resin-
web.xml.

> Also, when I call
> http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.1/examples/servlet-comet/comet
> directly, in
> order to see the "raw" output from TestCometServlet, I notice it has
> a nice
> pretty comment block in order to make sure the data gets rendered by
> IE, due
> to IE's needing to see some amount of bytes before it inteprets a
> page.

Technically, I think it's Safari that has the problem.  I think IE's
okay.

> That's not in the example code (understandably), and I am wondering
> if it's
> better to put that type of logic in a filter or just include it in the
> CometServlet?

I'd put it in the comet servlet, because it's just a buffer of 1024
bytes at the very beginning, and the comet servlet is a good place to
put that logic.

Filters are a bit weird with comet, conceptually, because filters
really expect a simple, single response instead of the comet repeated
calls.

-- Scott