I'm not sure how the hoster came to told you that, but the web.xml file
is the configuration for a specific application/context inside a host,
and there can be several applications configured for a host, so it
asolutely makes no sense configuring the host's port at the application
In order to configure the port, you have to have access to the
resin.conf file, as that's where the host data is defined.

On the other hand, the usual setup is having an Apache up-front (which
has the 80 port configured) and that redirects to the appropriate resin

If that was the case, if the URLS do not work, one would think the
Apache is not redirecting the requests correctly. "an 500-err" is
certainly not enough information to know what is going on.

In any case, back to the beginning, changing the server port is not
someting one does from the application. It might have been a
misunderstanding because it makes no sense.