I've started researching <rewrite-dispatch> and <ip-constraint> in an
effort to move more configuration from Apache to Resin.  I've found
quite a few threads on these that discuss settings in both
WEB-INF/resin-web.xml and ${resin.home}/conf/resin.conf, but not much
about why one is used over the other.

Are settings such as these available in either resin-web.xml or
resin.conf?  If so, is the choice simply a management decision?  With
the way we divide management of the applications, using resin.conf is
preferred for these types of settings.

Also, is resin.conf interchangeable with resin.xml?  Did this start
with 3.2 or farther back?