I use a tool called Capistrano (http://www.capify.org/) to do very similar
set of tasks.  Capistrano was written for Rails apps so I had to do a fair
amount of scripting, including splitting out all my servers into separate
tasks, but once I got this done it works extremely well.  It requires Ruby
on the machine you're managing the process from, but of itself it only calls
shell tasks on the remote machines so Ruby need not be installed on those.

I too would be interested in what others use for this.

Rachel