> then tells resin to restart

How does your deployment server communicate with Resin?

Adam

________________________________
From: Rob Lockstone <lockst...@mac.com>
To: General Discussion for the Resin application server
<resin-interest@caucho.com>
Sent: Wed, November 11, 2009 11:14:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Resin-interest] Automated deployment?

I wrote our deployment system. Our load balancer monitors our servers by
sending certain commands to check if the server is responding. If it doesn't
respond for 10 seconds, the server is removed from the pool. So our deployment
system works by sending a privileged command to each server in each pool
telling it to give the "I'm sleeping" response to the load balancer. After the
load balancer removes the server, the deployment server (which has already
retrieved the files to deploy from our repository) copies the files out and
then tells resin to restart (if the particular type of deployment requires a
restart, not all do). It then monitors the server to see when it's come back
online before moving onto the next sever in the pool.

The above is a somewhat simplified explanation, but that's the basics. For
example, the deployment system is multi-threaded so it can operate on multiple
pools at the same time, and even multiple servers in a particular pool
depending on the time of day.

When all is said and done, we can do an entire production deployment to scores
of servers in about 10-15 minutes without our users ever knowing that servers
have been popping in and out and restarting.

Rob