Mattias Jiderhamn wrote (2009-12-11 08:34):
I should mention though, that there is still a minimum of two EnvironmentClassLoaders for the given application after reloading at least once. The former one seem to stick around somehow. We have discussed this before, Scott; how references are kept inside com.caucho.server.dispatch.Invocation, at least in a low traffic (dev / debugging) environment.
On a web-app change the Invocation cache is cleared, so there shouldn't be any old references there.
Could you please double check that? For example, what happens to the 503:ed requests received during redeployment? I have an examplifying YourKit (freely available EAP) snapshot I could send you if it helps.

Here is what I'm getting, which seems repeatable over and over in my environment:
Startup: 9k loaded classes, no unloaded classes, 49 MB PermGen
First redeployment: 15k loaded classes, no unloaded classes, 77 MB PermGen = one extra instance of the app with 6k classes loaded. Assumed a total of 2 classloaders Second redeployment: 15k loaded classes, 6k unloaded classes, 77 MB PermGen = initial/first(?) instance GC:ed and a new one loaded. Still 2 classloaders. Third redeployment: 21k loaded classes, 6k unloaded classes, 105 MB PermGen = one extra instance of the app with 6k classes loaded, nothing GC:ed. Assumed a total of 3 classloaders Fourth redeployment: 21k loaded classes, 12k unloaded classes, 105 MB PermGen = second(?) instance GC:ed and a new one loaded. Still 3 classloaders. (Fifth redeployment: 15k loaded classes, 24k unloaded classes, 77 MB PermGen = third and fourth(?) instance GC:ed and a new one loaded. 2 classloaders. Haven't repeated this test enough to build a thesis)
I should probably point out that garbage collection was forced a couple of times before noting these numbers, so it shouldn't be a cased of delayed GC.

--

 </Mattias>