You're running resin as root?? You should be slapped. Run as apache,
resin or nobody, never root.

To answer your question you could create a group called 'web' and add
your clients and resin to that group. Adjust umasks to create
directories as 775 and files as 664.

Alternatively run multiple instances of resin as different users on
different ports and use a front-end transparent proxy to serve the pages
(this takes care of caching as well). The only issue I've had with this
approach in the past is that the proxy causes the IP address seen by
resin to be the IP address of the proxy, not the client (which can mess
up IP-based authentication).