I've just found out some client firewalls block port 8080. This causes a
problem now since
I used the direct 8080 port for service webapps where there was more
than one for that host, and that's
because I couldn't figure out how to remove the port number form the url
in that situation.
Let me clarify that - if I have a webapp, say "MyWebapp", with resin +
mod_caucho I can deploy it to service.example.com and access it
either using http://service.example.com/MyWebapp or
http://service.example.com:8080/MyWebapp. The second is a bit
pointless until I need more than 1 webapp. What I'd like to do then is
the obvious - just access them like
http://service.example.com/MyWebapp1,
http://service.example.com/MyWebapp2 etc but I find Apache throws 404's
when visiting those. I have to use
http://service.example.com:8080/MyWebapp1,
http://service.example.com:8080/MyWebapp2.
Which was ok until I found out about this firewall issue...

One difference is that in the first scenario I don't use a webapp id, so
the config is like this:

<server id="a" xmlns="http://caucho.com/ns/resin";>
  <host id="service.example.com" root-directory="...">
    <web-app id="" root-directory="..." archive-path="war/foo.war" />
  </host>
</server>

Whereas with the config where I'm forced to use 8080 in the URL it is

<server id="a" xmlns="http://caucho.com/ns/resin";>
  <host id="service.example.com" root-directory="...">
    <web-app id="MyWebapp1" root-directory="..."
archive-path="war/MyWebapp1.war" />
    <web-app id="MyWebapp2" root-directory="..."
archive-path="war/MyWebapp2.war" />
    <web-app id="MyWebapp3" root-directory="..."
archive-path="war/MyWebapp3.war" />
  </host>
</server>

In both configs, the Servlet looks like this:

@WebServlet(value="/MyWebapp", name="example-servlet")
public class APIServlet extends HttpServlet {
}
I just deploy the wars appropriately and all is well, and in fact has
been this way for years until this just came up.
It's probably something blindingly obvious - can anyone spot what, please?

Thanks!

Carl Whalley