It didn't make the spec.  Stupid right?  I tried, honestly I tried.  I
was able to at least get SSL support in there.  For Resteasy you can
either use Apache HTTp Client and set it up there.  I also have
implement basic auth in a filter:

https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/blob/master/jaxrs/resteasy-client/src/main/java/org/jboss/resteasy/client/jaxrs/BasicAuthentication.java

Just do:

WebTarget target = ...;
target.register(new BasicAuthentication("username", "password"));