Unfortunately, you are responsible for cleaning up the connection
yourself.  You must do:

try {

    ... do something with client ...

} catch (WebApplicationException ex) {

ex.getResponse().close();

}

This is because the response may contain an entity that the user wants
to access.  I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to automatically close the
underlying Response object.