Just found out the answer to this:

We can't use jackson providers for this (as noted in the original
documentation), but jettison provider instead:
Thus, we need to disable all jackson providers from our environment.

For example in WildFly 8.x:

Create a META-INF/jboss-structure-deployment.xml file with the following:

      <module name="org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jackson-provider" />
      <module name="org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jackson2-provider" />
      <module name="org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jettison-provider" />

Hope this helps,

in one place.