Pardon the naive question, but I am trying to provide a
recommendation for a small company. I'm used to Retro on the Mac and
backup a network to DLT, so I am a bit ignorant here.

The company needs a simple small non-networked backup solution (one
single PC), for the least amount of money (I know I know...). Of
course I am suggesting Retrospect, but I don't know of a suggestion
for a backup device. They wanted to just use a zip, but I am at least
recommending something more reliable than that.

For their light backup needs, I am thinking of just going with a
lowly DAT drive with a lot of redundancy. Can anyone recommend one
for a Pentium 100 with 16Meg running 98SE? Does one typically attach
such a thing to a parallel port? The machine already has 2 printers
connected to 2 physical parallel ports. Can one gang parallel ports a
la SCSI?

Although the amount to be backed up is not large (one small hard
drive, maybe 600MB), I am leaning toward DAT because the company
personnel are very technology disinclined, and something like a CDR
*will* scare them. Buying a Mac and backing up over a network is
totally out of the question ("what's a network?"). They have an
ancient tape drive that they used to run on Win3.1 before they were
forced to upgrade to 98SE. I don't think they ever have known if they
were -really- backing anything up, but they like the idea of tape
because it is familiar to them. What they have may actually be a DAT
drive (I haven't seen it yet), but they want to buy a new one.

On Windows, does one have to install a separate driver for a backup
drive from the drive's manufacturer, or does Retro alone take care of

Stefan Jeglinski