Thomas Myers writes:

>Let's say I have 10 users who I backup every night at 10pm.  Now Jane
>forgets and shuts down her computer.

I set all my overnight backup scripts to run from 4:30 or 5:30 p.m.
(depending on the user) until 8:30 a.m. -- that way if someone forgot to
leave the computer running, it will get backed up first thing in the

With incremental backups, that takes maybe two minutes on average, so it
hardly impacts the user -- that's less time than they spend waiting for
their Mac to boot up.

This doesn't eliminate your problem with errors in the log, but does
improve the percentage of times computers actually get backed up.

Now if only users would actually tell me when their computers report "You
haven't been backed up in five days" instead of ignoring it for weeks or

Dan Knight, information systems manager       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Baker Book House Company                 <>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

  "As for Pentium PCs, well, they're harmless."