on 2/7/00 8:59 AM, Daniel Knight at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I outgrew Zip backups so long ago it isn't funny. I've got to start doing
> regular backups at home again. I have 17 GB of storage on my SuperMac,
> but only about 3-4 GB of data. Have several other computers on the home
> network (at least one per family member, plus my file/web/mail server),
> so I'll want at least 10 GB native capacity per backup set.
>
> Speed isn't a huge issue, but cost and reliability are. Total cost is for
> drive plus two 10 GB (native capacity) media sets. I'd appreciate
> comments on the following from list members, especially on reliability
> and real world backup performance.

After having tried many different tape/external drive types I have basically
concluded either use DAT or AIT. I have hated goofy flip-the-cartridge
things like optical disks or DVD-ram. I have found QIC-Wide and Travan to be
unreliable (hardware). And I have found that having to baby sit the backup
to change multiple small tapes, zip disks, ORB disks, etc. is too unreliable
(bioware).

At a minimum, ensure that you don't have to flip/switch/etc. during a normal
backup. I switch tapes once a week when my scripts call for a new backup set
and only have to switch from tape 1 to tape 2 in the set every 10-15 days or
so. This is the ideal solution.

> APS NS-20 SCSI, $500
> con: I've heard Travan is noisy

I never noticed a noise problem. But I never really sat next to or in the
same room as the drive except for the occasional small file restore.

> APS DVD-RAM, $500
> pro: random access for fast restores

Another pro, this can function as a nice size external media for archive,
file transfer, etc.