I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. We have offices in
Europe, Australia and the US of A. People travel with their
notebooks/powerbooks all the time between the different countries. We need
to back these people up no matter which office they are in.

Currently I have a Backup server set up in each country with notebooks
being backed up using the server and desktops that are backed up at night.
They both go to the same tape which does a full backup on the weekend and
incremental during the week.

Now I have some ideas but it would help if someone has tried this.

Strategy One:
(I don't know how dantz will feel about this one, I'll have to read the
licence)
Register the notebook in each country so everyone who is portable will get
backed up no matter where they are.

Strategy Two:
Use the Retrospect Internet backup server that uses ftp. This one I'm not
happy about, it has a few consequences I don't like. one is setting up a
large hard disk and backup with ftp using the retrospect software.
Problems I have experienced with this in the past include large backups,
say between 100mg to 1gig. You need to transfer it to tape frequently
otherwise the hard disk gets full quickly. Another words a very manual
task. Secondly I've had the server files corrupt beyond repair and have
lost 14gig of backups. Thirdly I don't want it to backup over a modem for
obvious reasons though I don't think it would.

Looks like the first strategy is best but I would like some advice if possible.

Sorry for the long email, thanks in advance.

Michael
____________________________________

Reef Asia/Pacific
Global Desktop Support Coordinator
tel +61 (0)2 9213 3223
fax +61 (0)2 9212 4605
mobile +61 (0)402 130 132
PGP: 0x598EED9B
REEF is a global provider of Internetware for
online publishing, e-commerce, Web site
administration and dynamic asset management.