Yup - we use lots of AITs - not the LaCie ones specifically, but since it's just the
SONY mechanism in a LaCIE case it should be representative. Currently we're using the
25/50 tapes but there's very little difference in the new ones.  We have over 4,000
AIT tapes in current use over the course of the last year and there have been 8 tapes
that had problems which were all mechanical drive issues.  So that's a damage rate of
.2% on very high usage backup servers.  Note that that's stricly the tapes that were
'eaten' as it were.  We've never seen an instance where data written to the media was

I haven't found a tape system that's completely bulletproof since you are dealing with
moving physical tapes around a complex path, but the AIT's have been about as close as
they get.  You might want to look at the VXA tape stuff as well since the media is the
same as far as I've been able to determine and I think the drive are marginally less

Erik Ableson