I have an error - often the message is
"lost access to storage media " and I don't have a cable connection
problem between the tape drive and the backup server(it's an external
tape drive) .I don't have to touch the cables I just have to click ok
on the error and the script restart.

This is the type of dat drive that I have
HP Surestore DAT 24E/eU,  C1528
the computer is an gateway G6 processor p2 350
I had the same problem today 3 times
I used the HP tape drive tools to check if there is something wrong
but apparently all the tests that I made  are ok:
-connection between the drive and the pc
-writing and reading tests
We are using Retrospect for Desktop.

Reef Asia/Pacific
Global Desktop Support Coordinator
tel +61 (0)2 9213 3223
fax +61 (0)2 9212 4605
mobile +61 (0)402 130 132
PGP Key ID: 0x598EED9B
REEF is a global provider of Internetware for
online publishing, e-commerce, Web site
administration and dynamic asset management.