[Sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and the Retro-talk list.]

I've just started using Retrospect Desktop 5.1 on Windows 2000 (W2K)
Professional, backing up to a tape drive. Everything seems to be working
fine; I've restored a few directories for testing purposes, and compared
them to the originals, without problems.

However, I seem to have trouble at two points in my daily scheduled
unattended backups:

1) W2K's indexing server builds a directory "System Volume Information" in
the root of each indexed volume, giving it and all contents the hidden &
system attributes. The only access permissions are full access for NT
AUTHORITY/System, so it is effectively off-limits to everyone, including
the Administrator. I want to exclude this directory tree from all further
backups (the information is easily rebuilt), so I've added the folder
"System Volume Information" to the exclusions in the file selector for
that daily backup script ("name exactly matches ..." etc.). But Retrospect
still trys to include it in the daily snapshot, so still generates errors
when the file backup begins, e.g.:

-       26/03/2000 12:11:08 AM: Copying USER (D:)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiCL0001.000": can't
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiP10000.000": can't
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiP20000.000": can't
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiPT0000.000": can't
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiSL0001.000": can't
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiSP0000.000": can't
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiST0000.000": can't
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\CiVP0000.000": can't
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
                File "D:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\INDEX.000": can't read
security information, error -1020 (sharing violation)
        26/03/2000 12:40:29 AM: Snapshot stored, 17.1 MB

Now, how do I get around this and definitively exclude this particular
hidden directory from the daily snapshot, hence from attempts to retrieve
file information? (There are other system/hidden files elsewhere on the
volume that I still want to include, so excluding all files or directories
with hidden/system attributes is not what I want to do.)

And shouldn't Retrospect be trying to obtain security information without
attempting to lock out other programs that may have the file open? (In
this case, the indexing daemon.)  ARCserve.IT gives a specific option to
attempt retrying operations on files using the "Deny None" file sharing

2) What should I make of this daily error in the backup log:

                File "D:\DOWNLOAD\SW\NetStuff\Servers\Mail\ftgate22.exe": didn't
compare, reached end of file.

When I restore the file for comparison purposes, the file fetched from the
tape exactly matches the original in disk. I also checked that the disk
version did not have any hidden NTFS streams. (Q: retrospect does
enumerate & backup ALL streams associated with files on NTFS volumes, yes?
I would of course be shocked & scandalised to learn that it did not, given
that this is an original mac application, a platform where alternate file
streams are absolutely normal!)

Finally, some questions related to these problems:

1) I notice that the "Retrospect Launcher" service runs under the Local
System account. I'm not too familiar with the exact gyrations that it
would have to go through for an unattended launch of the actual Retrospect
program, but will the program have the correct set of user rights that
include the backup/restore privileges? If the program does have these
rights, then it should have no problem reading security information,
surely. (ARCserve.IT [W2K version] doesn't report any problem on the same

All in all, though, Retrospect seems an excellent program, certainly more
appropriate for my purposes than ARCserve.IT which, while featureful and
actually easy to set up for a single PC (but let's not talk about making
complete restores that include only the most recent versions of files!),
occupies a rather huge amount of space on disk (even with the database
retention set to merely 1 week, all the program bits still occupied more
than a 150MB).

// Michel Joly de Lotbiniere