My story: A while back, my file server (beige G3/266 w/256MB DRAM, OS 8.1,
ASIP 5.0.3) would also crash consistently when backing up if Retrospect ran
in the background with the default memory allocation settings. The only way
I could get it to back up properly was to set its memory allocation to
around 40MB, disable Retrospect's use of temporary system memory, and make
sure that Retrospect launched & quit on its own (ensuring that it ran in the
foreground).

Then I upgraded to OS 8.6 & ASIP 6.2. Ran like a champ no matter what.

Then, after talking with others about the crashing I had experienced
earlier, I had the machine tested by the local Mac shop -- one of the DIMM
slots was bad. Too bad I didn't talk with those folks a long time ago.
would've saved me a lot of headaches.

To quote Scott McCarty from a recent post in the AppleShare IP list;

--
David G. Thornton
Graphics Systems Manager •

"I don't view wealth as something that validates my intelligence."
        Steve Jobs