>>Is it possible to manually remove a driver that is loaded on boot up?

No, once a low-level driver loads, it stays until the system reboots
(if I'm underatanding the question correctly)

>Wouldn't this be possible via the Extensions Manager control panel?

One could disable the Apple CDRom driver with the extensions manager,
  but then the internal CD-Rom drive would be unusable.

If the object is to use the CD burners native driver, then it should be in the
extensions folder, and named  such that it alphabetically sorts to higher than
 "Apple CD/DVD Driver", but lower than " EM Extension" (note the leading space)
This way, the driver will load before the Apple driver, but not before the EM extension
(this one needs to be first).

Hope this helps.

Philip Chonacky, IS Manager
Barrett Companies