Use Norton's Ghost utility. It allows you (essentially) to do the
equivilent of Apple's Disk Copy. I use it to create standard desktop
configs to install to new PC's.
You can "ghost" the partition to another drive or network volume, swap
drives, partition the new drive (no need to format), and "ghost" the image
to the new, larger drive/partition.

Brent