Thanks for the replies to my earlier posts, folks! The person who ran
the backups before me told me that she went through a year of backups
with one set of tapes before she had a problem with the "tape eating
its tail," so something somewhere along the line (maybe with earlier
versions of Retrospect?), we either erased the tape and started over,
or she didn't know what she was talking about.

Now, one more question. I have a feeling I know the answer to this
already, but...

If we purchase another tape drive, is it possible to tell Retrospect
to backup a certain selection set to one drive, and another set to a
different drive? I read in the manual, and here on the list, that you
can use two drives as a "poor man's autoloader," which I understand
how it works and it's fine.

However, I'm interested in test driving the new VXA drive, and was
hoping I could use it to just backup our servers, and not our client
desktops. I'd like to leave those still backing up to our DDS-3 DAT
drive.

So, am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance, again!

Julia Frizzell                        http://www.netspace.org/~glyneth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   http://www.theblackroad.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      ICQ: 8458071
"The courts have ruled that Microsoft has performed an illegal
function and will be shut down." -- Rewind, NPR