Reality: Enterprise backups of workstations SUCK. There's NO WAY to do it
well, but Dantz comes closest.

There is a *real* market for Windows backups, especially enterprise backups.
However, even with Dantz's fine Windows product (and I think they'll admit
this, but I've been wrong before!) it simply doesn't scale to the
enterprise, or even past a few hundred workstations.

It was built to be a workgroup product and I and some other companies have
pushed the product beyond what it was originally designed for. We've been
successful, but it has its painful moments...

Currently, if you get over a relatively small number of workstations, your
administrative hassles increase dramatically.

How do you perform initial installations on 1400 Windows workstations, when
Dantz offers no unattended install, yet requires a password on the client?

How do you perform initial installations on 150,000 Windows workstations, if
an *entire enterprise* standardizes on Retrospect?

How do you perform client upgrades of 1400 (or 150,000) workstations, when
you have to either do it from the server, or at the workstation (again)?

How can you upgrade from the server, when most of your machines are
portables and probably won't be available at the time you're upgrading
clients?

How do you keep the Retrospect client name and the actual machine name in
sync? Workstations get renamed all the time, but the client doesn't "see"
the change.

There are other issues as well, but those are some of the major ones I run
up against daily.

Even with these limitations, I can't think of another product that comes
remotely close to filling the bill while not requiring significant
intervention on the part of the users. So, Dantz simply cannot ignore
Windows, IMHO.

Neither, of course, can they ignore Macs. But then, nobody's suggesting
that!

Brad.