On 10/24/00 8:18 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] thus spake:

>Thanks for that one statement Eric...it means a lot ;-)
>On 10/24/00 10:31 AM, "Eric Ullman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> One thing, which I forgot to mention...
>> It is our intention to bring the new architecture to the Mac product line.

     Just how much does it mean? I've been more than just a little
concerned about this NT business. I see lots of talk, but when push comes
to shove the big changes and features (like that unix client we've been
screaming for over the past several years) appear on windoze. This thread
started with a mail glorifying all the wonderful things that NT does, and
didn't bother to mention these coming to Mac, even as an afterthought-it
took another message. My cynical side says this was after a few love
letters from the rabid mac crowd, although I'll concede that the original
posts are only 7 minutes apart and that it may therefore be a legit

     Worse, the original message states that Dantz is "Carbonizing
Retrospect for Mac OS X right now". Whoopie. You mean I can run the
feature poor bastard stepchild on X once it's carbonized?

**How about the highly touted new architecture?!?! When is THAT being

Or, better yet, made native to X-if it requires lots of rewrite, this
would be the time to go Cocoa/YellowBox, or whatever Apple's marketing is
calling it this week. At the very best, it looks to me like the Mac, the
very foundation upon which Dantz was built, is now a second class citizen
to NT. At the worst, the vague assurances will evaporate when NT reaches
critical mass. From my viewpoint, it appears that Dantz, like many other
companies, have committed their developer resources to windoze, and it's
not much of a leap from there to no support at all for the Mac. I've seen
it all too many times before.

     I hope I'm just paranoid. I did live through the dark days of
Amelio, and maybe I'm too sensitive because of it. I *like* Retrospect on
the Mac, which is why I get so worked up over the possibility of its
demise. My company has a sizeable investment in Retrospect, as do I
personally, which is why these events worry me. I will continue to wait
patiently, as I have for some time now, for substantial proof of the
Dantz commitment to it's existing Mac base. PLEASE, Dantz, throw us a
bone, something tangible like a beta release, and prove me wrong.

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Linux Geek,     *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Linux Consultant       *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."