It would be worth the trouble to go buy a couple of other types of
CD's to write to.

My guess is the drive is failing.  Out of the 20 (mixed speeds) or so
that we have around here, we had one that was bad out of box
(shipping to Alaska can be hazardous).  It would act like it would
write the CD, but would not verify it at all.  If you looked at the
CD, it looked like it had been written to, but put it in another
machine and it was a coaster.

Yamaha replaced it 5 days later (pretty good up here).  No problems since.