Hi Maxine,

> 1. It appears that there's no way to do a stand-alone verify
> process (not the verify under "tools" which only verifies the
> integrity of the backup  set). With most backup software, you can
> run a separate compare job. This  is useful if the backup job
> terminated during the verify step, or if you  forgot to turn on
> the verify option. Am I correct that this feature is not
> available with Retrospect?

Yes and no. Yes, there's no "compare" function as seen in, say,
Veritas Beckup Exec. But Retrospect offers a better, if somewhat
less intuitive, solution for the problem, IMHO.

First you do a verification under "Tools" which, as you have known,
verify the integrity of the backup set. Once it's done, you go to
the "Immediate" tab, choose backup, select the right source,
destination, and selector, and click on "Preview". Files that don't
match would be highlighted (marked for backup) while those that are
identical with a rhombic dot next to their check box.

This way you may check to see what files have changed since last
backup at anytime without having to do a full comparison.

> 2. I would like to know what peoples' experiences are with
> disaster recovery using retrospect. I see that it does not have a
> method for  restoring using a boot diskette. So, you have to
> install the operating  system and then restore? Does that work
> pretty well? Does the registry get  restored correctly?

It's indeed a pity that Retrospect can't recover a system from a
boot diskette. Probably their Mac background prevents them from
treading into DOS programming (you need a pure DOS program to
recover from a boot diskette).

What I do is to prepare a clean and minimum Windows installation,
with nothing but Retrospect installed. I then ghost the system to a
CDR (with DriveImage, but Norton Ghost or others would do). If the
disaster is so great that I can't even boot into Windows, I restore
from the ghosted CDR, and restore from there with Retrospect.

If you prefer, there are freeware tools that allows you to copy
(xcopy) files with long file names under DOS. So you may make a
disaster recovery CD without Ghost or DI.

As long as you can boot into Windows environment, Retrospect
restores competently.

Best regards,