Just a quick note.  I had the Backup server running on my Mac here at
work every night and never restarted in the morning.  Didn't notice
any sluggishness at all.   PM9600/G4-450, 192MB RAM.

Just yesterday, I took the backup off my machine and put it on a
7600/G3-250 with 80MB of RAM.  The speed is about the same for backup
and just switching between applications.

Another thing, is I discovered that the internal bus on a 7600 is
SCSI-2 Fast (10MB/sec) and the external bus is just SCSI-2 (5MB/sec).
The tape drive I have is capable of SCSI-2 Fast so I built a cable to
go from the internal bus to the external tape drive and it performs
just as well as when the tape drive was on my Mac with an Adaptec
29160 card in it.

My main reason for moving it off my Mac was because we have a need to
backup laptops during the day and I didn't want my Mac being tied up
for that time.