You should be able to back up your server with Retrospect without stopping
file services. I do it all the time. Do you have Retrospect running on the
same computer as ASIP or on a different machine? Tip: Retrospect and ASIP
are both huge resource hogs and don't like to share. Even offloading
Retrospect duties to a lowly 6100 and doing your backups over the network
via Retrospect client can get rid of many problems running the two on a
single machine, and performance suffers only a little.
--
David G. Thornton
Mac Systems Manager

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.