You can set up a script in Retrospect that will lock out
AppleShare users when a volume is being backed up; click on
Options in the Script Edit window, then on the More Choices
button, then on AppleShare. That may solve your problem; I haven't
used that feature in a while so I don't know what it does to users
who are logged in & have active files. My guess is it just kicks
them off & frees up their files. You might want to check it out
first.