I got a 40G Maxtor Firewire Drive.  I just got it yesterday, so not sure
about the whine yet.  But, it is a room which is not very quick anyway, so I
doubt I would hear it anyway.

I have a Lacie DDS-3 Tape Drive.  I have had it for at least a year now, and
it is working pretty well.  No complaints.

Jeff
--
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Director - Information Systems, Turner's Outdoorsman