Hi,
This is my Hi! to the Review Board community. I am an undergraduate
student in Computer Science from IIT Guwahati, India. I have applied
to ReviewBoard for implementing a compact Windows Installer for Review
Board. Here is a link to my proposal which I have also attached below.
http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2009/ompatri/t123861948087

I would be grateful if any mentors (and the Review Board community)
could review my proposal and suggest me if anything is missing or ways
to enhance it. I would also appreciate it if you could give me a link
to the work that has already been done in this regard.
Thanking you,
Regards,
Om Patri.
Windows Installer
Add a new, all-encompassing Windows Installer. The installer would
install Review Board and its dependencies, optionally installing
Python, Django, Apache, MySQL, or whatever based on the user's
preference and existing installed services.In most cases, installing
dependencies will simply require automating the download of an
existing MSI file on the web. Some dependencies, however, may need to
be packaged by us.The installer must be an MSI installer, based on
NSIS. There's some base work done on this to get you started.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abstract:
I plan to implement a compact,feature-rich Windows Installer for
Review Board.This new MSI installer (based on NSIS) would install
Review Board and all its dependencies,and give the user an option of
installing Python, Django, MySQL, Apache and other such software based
on the user's choice and the software already existing in his
computer.I'll package all required files and try to automate the
download of existing MSI files on the web.I shall do documentation and
provide tests.
Content:

Name: Om Prasad Patri

College : Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering, Indian
Institute of Technology, Guwahati, India.

Availability : I am fully available during May 15 - Aug 23. I plan to
devote atleast 40-45 hours per week to the project.

IRC Handle/Network (optional): Freenode: patri, GTalk: ompatri

Have you worked with Python before?

I am familiar with Python and have written some programs in Python but
not in deep details. I am still learning and by the time GSoC begins,
I am confident I would have a better grasp of Python.

Have you worked with Django before?

No, I haven't worked with Django before but can learn before GSoC if
needed.

What's your interest in the project?

I plan to implement a compact and rich Windows Installer for Review
Board. This new installer would install Review Board and all its
dependencies, and give the user an option of installing Python,
Django, MySQL, Apache and other such software based on the user's
choice and the software already existing in his computer. I will also
try to implement a multi-language option for the installer which would
be a great bonus. The installer will be an MSI installer based on NSIS
(Nullsoft Scriptable Install System). I shall package all the required
files and try to automate the download of existing MSI files on the
web.

To implement this, we shall have to take various characteristics of
the user's system into account, like whether a particular software is
already
installed or not, what is the version of the software currently
installed if it is present,  whether the user is an administrator or
not, etc. which can be achieved using NSIS. Though I do not have much
experience in NSIS yet, still, I have downloaded NSIS and tried to
experiment with it. I have gone through the documentation and
developer guide and found that I can learn it easily as I know Java
very well and am familiar with Python. However, I do not know Django
and would have to learn it if needed. This project would be a great
asset for the Windows users of Review Board.

I would first look at the exisiting work in this field and pick up
from there. I would co-ordinate with my mentor regularly giving him
atleast weekly updates and staying in touch with him through mails,
IRC etc. I shall do the documentation (probably on a wiki) of whatever
work I do and the testing also if needed. I have great interest in
working (and learning) on an open source project and I think Review
Board would be a great mentoring organization for me. I plan to
complete most of the project by the midterm evaluation period so that
I can concentrate on fixing bugs, documentation, testing and enhancing
the code (and additional features) after that.

Describe projects you've worked on in the past:

I have programming experience for the last four years, in C, C++ and
mainly, Java . Other languages I am familiar with include Python,
Perl, MySQL and PHP. I have been involved in a team developing a web-
based software for the complete automation of our institute
guesthouse. I was responsible for the sub-team designing the user
interface in the project. This project helped me learn a lot about
working in a group and the major hurdles faced while doing so.

I do not have a lot of experience in open-source development but have
developed a couple of small open-source projects which are hosted on
sourceforge. One of these is an electronic amplifier design tool –
AutoAmp (command line, made in C++) while the other, QuadGenius is a
GUI educational tool which helps schoolchildren to solve quadratic and
linear equations (GUI, made in Java using Swing). I am also developing
a “Homoeopathic Medicine Remedy Finder for Mobile Devices” using J2ME.