The date range handler would be good, but I'd rather not have the maxid.
However, there's another way we can do that.

Update the handler for api/json/reviewrequests/all/ and let it take optional
start and end ranges that work like Python's lists. I'd have to think how I
want this API to look, but maybe something like:

api/json/reviewrequests/all/?start=<start index>&max_results=<number of
results>&order_by=<comma-separated order criteria>

Then you could do:

api/json/reviewrequests/all/?max_results=0&order_by=-id

And that would return the most recent public review request.