On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Eric Huss <erich...@gmail.com> wrote:

> r1917 made a change to setup.py to require Djblets 0.5beta2.dev_20090420.
> The downloads URL only seems to have an egg for 2.4.  If you run "setup.py
> install", it will complain since it can't find (in my case) a 2.5 egg.

Looks like the build broke for 2.5 only last night, hence the lack of eggs.
I'll get this fixed for tonight's build.

> 1. Are you planning to publish eggs for 2.4 and 2.5 in the future?

Yep, definitely. We'll be continuing to distribute 2.4 and 2.5 eggs for the
forseeable future (and 2.6 eventually, once I get another buildbot instance
going somewhere).

> 2. Is there some way to tell setup.py to use the version that gets checked
> out by the svn externals link?

If you're using setup.py in one, you should use it in the other, and not
rely on svn:externals. To build your own nightly, you can run:

sudo python setup.py install nightly

This will tag the version with the date stamp.

3. I'm curious, in the course of development, do you use "setup.py
> develop" to get reviewboard into your path?  How do you get djblets into
> your python path?  Or do you set PYTHONPATH manually?

I actually use Git-SVN for development and use a symlink to a checked out
Djblets, rather than svn:externals. But the prinicipal is the same. I don't
rely on installing eggs unless there's something I explicitly need to test.

> I guess what I'm asking is why djblets and django_evolution are svn
> externals, but the setuptools method of installation doesn't jive with
> that.

Djblets won't be an svn:external much longer, nor will django_evolution. Now
that people aren't running directly out of an SVN checkout anymore (or
shouldn't be) there's little reason to continue with this route. I would say
for developers, either just develop out of the tree, use devserver.sh for
testing, and use symlinks/svn:externals for the dependencies, -or- use eggs
and install with the "install nightly" alias or "develop" (not sure if you
need to do "develop nightly" -- I honestly don't use develop for this).