I enabled logging and this is what I see:

2009-04-23 06:40:22,467 - WARNING - An error while LDAP-
authenticating: KeyError('givenName',)

I am using the following settings:

LDAP Server: ldap://<myldapserver>.com:389
Base DN: cn=users,dc=mycompany,dc=com
E-Mail Domain: mycompany.com
E-Mail LDAP Attribute: mail
User Mask: (uid=%s)