As long as Visual SourceSafe allows for grabbing a file of a specific
revision remotely in some form, then it can be made to work with Review
Board. I believe some other people on the mailing list were going to work on
this at some point, but I haven't heard anything in a while. It might be
worth reading the mailing list archive to find out what the status was of
that and seeing who was involved.

If you'd like to work on Visual SourceSafe integration, we'd be happy to
help with any guidance.

Generally the requirements are:

1) The ability to download a file from a repository remotely, given a file
path and revision. This can be provided either by a Python module (must be
plain Python, not IronPython), a command-line tool (better if it's
cross-platform) or an HTTP request if it can be retrieved that way.

2) Support in post-review for posting/updating a review request.

3) A standard diff format that contains revision information as part of the
filename headers. If the tools for Visual SourceSafe don't provide this, you
will need to construct it yourself in post-review, either by building a
custom diff or post-processing it.