These permissions are actually a Django concept. We use them for some
"special" users, but really what they're about is access to the admin UI.
With the exception of the permissions documented in our online documentation
(see the post-review documentation on "Automating post-review"), these are
essentially useless for most sites and are ignored.

There's no mechanism today for disallowing certain actions per-user. That's
planned for a future release.