Is there a configurable set of default permissions somewhere? I'm facing an issue where the users provided by our custom backend do not have privilege to set the description or summary of review requests.

We don't have a common group that all users are a member of, so I can't set group-level permissions for this.

It seems strange to me, because looking at the built-in LDAP backend, we're behaving in exactly the same way: we create the user in the auth_user table, we add their group memberships to the auth_group and auth_user_groups tables, we set superuser=False and staff = False, and active = True.

These users are allowed to log in and upload a diff file, but cannot complete the review request (or discard it) for lack of permissions.

So how does the LDAP backend do this?