Christian Hammond wrote:
What version of patch are you guys running?

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS - I have patch 2.5.9

   ing...@reviews:~$ cat /etc/*elease*
   DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
   DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04
   DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy
   DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS"
   ing...@reviews:~$ patch -v
   patch 2.5.9
   Copyright (C) 1988 Larry Wall

   This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
   You may redistribute copies of this program
   under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
   For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

   written by Larry Wall and Paul Eggert

And do the diffs have any indication at the end saying that there's no newline at the end?

Yes and no.... ;-) For me it depends on the diff tool used. E.g. some diff tools dump:

   \ No newline at end of file

at the point the newline is missing to stdout, for a single file diff this is at the end. For multiple file diffs this could be in the middle of the diff.

Some diff tools (e.g. Solaris) dump that information to stderr, if you redirect both stdout and stderr the position of that message can vary wildly.

Some diff tools do nothing. Which means that multi-file diffs with the "bad file" in the middle look corrupted as the next file starts on the last line of the previous files diff.

Also, what SCM?

I'm using p2 which has the option to use the platform provided diff (so sort of a lottery on the newline detection) OR perform diffs server side (which gives consistent output). The default diff format that is used for p2 is the default diff output (i.e. not a unified diff).

I'm not sure the SCM relevant, I think the issue is the diff and patch tools.

Chris