I am trying to configure ReviewBoard (I'm using 1.5b2) to trust the
REMOTE_USER environment variable that is set by apache when I use
basic HTTP authentication. Has anyone had luck doing something like
this who can steer me in the right direction? I have tried writing my
own backend, which seems like it is probably not the best approach,
but am running into some issues. Specifically, I am still prompted to
login with the ReviewBoard login page after I authenticate through the
HTTP Auth popup.

I would definitely prefer to use existing tools if they exist -- I
looked through the documentation and didn't see any mention of HTTP
basic auth as an authentication backend. Is there something in Django
that I should look at? Any suggestions would be appreciated.