I mean we implement --revision-range for ClearCase and we use this
with full success. You probably use ReviewBoard in pre-review. We also
try to use it and we have problems too. But in our company all
checkins is saved in ClearQuest so we get them from ClearQuest using
CQPERL script and send to --revision-range of post-review. This works.

Before You look to review.reviewboard.org try do things:
1) Checkout file make change checking and checkout again - then try
run "post-review this-file"
2) Now make change (without checkin) and run "post-review this-file"
one more time
I mean - try very simple scenarios. I remember I try hard and this
work at least.