Hi Michael,

First off, there are a few issues with authentication in general in RB
1.5.1. I'm planning to put out the 1.5.2 release in the next few days
(depending on other circumstances). Specifically, that'll address
issues such as some Permission Denied errors appearing for anonymous
users when it should be Not Authenticated errors instead, and some
issues in forcing authentication.

You can play around with this using the RB 1.5.2 and Djblets
nightlies. To install them, do:

    easy_install -f http://downloads.reviewboard.org/nightlies/ -U
ReviewBoard Djblets

After that, from the client end, to force authentication you need only
send the HTTP_AUTHORIZATION header in any request to the API, with a
realm of Basic and the typical user:pass encoded in base64.
post-review in Git does this now to force it.

So if you want to try upgrading that and playing with it now, you can.

One other thing, which may impact anyone who's currently using
mod_wsgi, is that by default mod_wsgi strips out any
HTTP_AUTHORIZATION headers. In this case, you'd need to add the
following to your web server config:

    WSGIPassAuthorization On