Thanks for thinking about this.  The problem was that I was updating
from a neolithic Reviewboard (pre 1.0, commit # 1151).

After untangling all of the errors, I realized I was missing an
encoding column, and added it manually.  Then forced the DB update to
go through for version 1.5.5 (since that was a smaller change).  Once
I had that, I could run site-upgrade successfully.  Then I cleanly
went to 1.6.2 and all was good.

Many thanks!

                -ben